Monday, March 21, 2011

Saint Patrick's Day


Saint Patrick's Day is always a big event in my house mainly because we love all things Irish. This year we invited a variety of friends over for an Irish themed dinner which included the basics - corned beef, cabbage, & potatoes; as well as a selection of Irish cheeses and Irish soda bread.

We learned that when making Irish soda bread it is very important to cut a cross in it (to let the fairy's out, as the old wives tale goes) otherwise it continues to rise in the oven until it hits the top.

I also invited some friends who were vegetarian & vegan which provided a fun challenge to come up with a tasty Irish meal for them to enjoy as well. I finally decided to make a vegan "Shepperd's Pie" which turned out to be quite good. At our local Fred Meyers I found vegan "meat" made from lentils as well as vegan Worcestershire sauce. I mixed in a variety of veggies - carrots, peas, & corn. Then topped it with a potato & sweet potato mash. A very sucessful endeavor.

Tiah

No comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
This blog is about three sisters!

Followers